Closure of Dade Medical College and University of Southernmost Florida

On Oct. 30, 2015, officials representing Dade Medical College and its affiliated institution, the University of Southernmost Florida, alerted their accreditors and the Florida Department of Education’s postsecondary education oversight body, the Commission for Independent Education (CIE), that effective immediately, they were ceasing operations and instruction at their combined eight locations across the State of Florida. As a result of this precipitous closure, all eight locations operating under the Dade Medical College and the University of Southernmost Florida have lost their eligibility to receive federal student aid funds from the U.S. Department of Education (ED).

If you were attending any of these closed schools on Oct. 30, 2015, or withdrew from one of these schools within the last 120 days before Oct. 30, you have two options:


Closed School Loan Discharge

If you attended a Dade Medical College or University of Southernmost Florida school that closed while you were attending or soon after you withdrew, and you did not complete your program of study, you may be eligible for a closed school discharge. A closed school discharge is a 100% discharge of the federal Direct Loans, Federal Family Education Loan (FFEL) Program loans, or Federal Perkins Loans you took out to attend the closed school and a reimbursement of amounts you have already paid to the government.   

To apply for loan forgiveness through a closed school discharge, you can do either of the following:

  • Complete and return the Closed School Loan Discharge Application sent to you by your servicer or complete this Closed School Loan Discharge Application and return it to your loan servicer; or
  • Contact your loan servicer about the application process for getting your loan discharged

NOTE: Your Closed School Loan Discharge Application must be sent to your loan servicer. To find out who your loan servicer is, log in to "My Federal Student Aid" or call 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243; TTY for the hearing impaired 1-800-730-8913).

Read our overview of the closed school loan discharge process for more information on the process and eligibility.


Credit Transfers

Instead of applying for a closed school discharge, you may wish to keep the credits you’ve earned from a Dade Medical or University of Southernmost Florida school and transfer those credits to another school with a comparable program. If you do transfer into a comparable program offered by another school, that school will evaluate your Dade Medical or University of Southernmost Florida course work and will decide whether to give you credit for the work already completed, and what courses you need to take to complete your program of study.  

ED is working with Dade Medical College and University of Southernmost Florida officials, as well as representatives from CIE, to process student records from the eight affected schools as soon as possible so that transfer schools can start assessing students’ remaining eligibility for federal student aid funds. 

CIE is in the process of working with institutions in the area of the closed schools to identify schools with similar programs that may accept students. For information on how to access and obtain your student records and transcripts and to view a listing of licensed institutions with similar programs in your area, please see the Commission for Independent Education’s web page.

Note: Neither ED nor CIE have confirmed that the institutions listed on CIE’s website will accept Dade Medical or University of Southernmost Florida credits as part of any transfer. Students interested in any of the programs of study listed should contact the institution to determine whether they can transfer their credits.

If you transfer the credits you have earned at a Dade Medical or University of Southernmost Florida school toward a comparable program at another school, you will not be eligible to receive a closed school loan discharge.