Closure of ICDC (International Career Development Center) College

Closure of ICDC (International Career Development Center) College

On May 20, 2016, ICDC College (ICDC) alerted U.S. Department of Education (ED) officials that the institution had ceased all online and classroom-based instruction at its Huntington Park, California, campus.

If you were attending ICDC when it ceased operations on May 20, or withdrew from the school within the last 120 days before May 20, you have three options:

  1. Apply for a closed school loan discharge or
  2. Accept the teach-out with Trident University International or
  3. Transfer earned credit or hours to another institution to continue your education in a comparable program

Closed School Loan Discharge

If ICDC closed while you were attending or soon after you withdrew, and you did not complete your program of study, you may be eligible for a closed school discharge. A closed school discharge is a 100% discharge of the federal Direct Loans, Federal Family Education Loan (FFEL) Program loans, or Federal Perkins Loans you took out to attend the closed school and a reimbursement of amounts you have already paid to the government.

To apply for loan forgiveness through a closed school discharge, you can either

Note: Your Closed School Loan Discharge Application must be sent to your loan servicer. To find out who your loan servicer is, log in to My Federal Student Aid or call 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243; TTY for the hearing impaired 1-800-730-8913).

You can no longer use your Federal Student Aid PIN. If you haven't already, you'll need to create an FSA ID—a username and password—to log in.

Read our overview of the closed school loan discharge process for more information about the process and eligibility.

We encourage you to avoid paying companies for student loan consolidation or forgiveness services that your federal loan servicer provides on behalf of ED for free. Read our post on your rights and options as a borrower.

Teach-Out and Credit Transfers

Instead of applying for a closed school discharge, you may choose to participate in the teach-out with Trident University International (Trident) or transfer the credits or hours earned at ICDC to another school with a comparable program.

As part of the teach-out agreement, Trident has agreed to continue instruction of ICDC's current academic programs, and at no additional charge beyond what had been subscribed in your enrollment agreement with ICDC. Additional information about the teach-out agreement and other student options and resources can be found in ICDC's letter to students impacted by the closure. You are not required to participate in the teach-out with Trident.

If you choose not to participate in the teach-out with Trident, and decide to transfer into a comparable program offered by another school, that school will evaluate your ICDC course work and will decide whether to give you credit for the work already completed and will determine what courses you need to take to complete your program of study.

ED is working with ICDC officials, as well as representatives from the California Bureau of Private Postsecondary Education (BPPE), to process student records from ICDC as soon as possible so that transfer schools can start assessing students' remaining eligibility for federal student aid funds.

For information on how to access and obtain your student records and transcripts or to find out more about licensed institutions with similar programs in your area, visit BPPE's web portal for students or review ED's fact sheet about ICDC's closure. Students interested in any of the programs listed on a school's website should contact the institution to determine whether they can transfer their credits or hours.

NOTE: If you accept the teach-out with Trident or transfer the credits or hours you have earned at ICDC toward a comparable program at another school, you will not be eligible to receive a closed school loan discharge.

You may also contact ED's School Eligibility Service Group team at (202) 377-3173 or email your inquiry to