Closure of Mattia College

Closure of Mattia College

The U.S. Department of Education (ED) determined that Mattia College ceased instruction on Feb. 22, 2016, at their Miami-based campus and received notice from Mattia’s accreditor, the Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools, that as of Feb. 24, 2016, the institution’s accreditation was suspended. If Mattia fails to successfully produce evidence demonstrating that the school did not close, and if the school does not successfully appeal the suspension and proposed revocation of accreditation, Mattia College will lose its eligibility to receive federal student aid funds from the U.S. Department of Education, effective retroactively to Feb. 22, 2016.

If you were attending Mattia College on Feb. 22, 2016, or withdrew from the school within the last 120 days before February 22, you have two options:

  1. Apply for a closed school loan discharge; or,
  2. Transfer earned credit to another institution to continue your education in a comparable program.

Closed School Loan Discharge

If Mattia College closed while you were attending or soon after you withdrew, and you did not complete your program of study, you may be eligible for a closed school discharge. A closed school discharge is a 100 percent discharge of the federal Direct Loans, Federal Family Education Loan (FFEL) Program loans, or Federal Perkins Loans you took out to attend the closed school and a reimbursement of amounts you have already paid to the government.

To apply for loan forgiveness through a closed school discharge, you can either

Note: Your Closed School Loan Discharge Application must be sent to your loan servicer. To find out who your loan servicer is, log in to My Federal Student Aid or call 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243; TTY for the hearing impaired 1-800-730-8913).

You can no longer use your Federal Student Aid PIN. If you haven’t already, you’ll need to create an FSA ID—a username and password—to log in.

Read our overview of the closed school loan discharge process for more information about the process and eligibility.

We encourage you to avoid paying companies for student loan consolidation or forgiveness services that your federal loan servicer provides on behalf of ED for free. Read our recent post on your rights and options as a borrower.

Credit Transfers

Instead of applying for a closed school discharge, you may wish to keep the credits you’ve earned from Mattia College and transfer those credits to another school with a comparable program. If you do transfer into a comparable program offered by another school, that school will evaluate your Mattia College course work and will decide whether to give you credit for the work already completed, as well as what courses you need to take to complete your program of study.

ED is working with Mattia College, as well as representatives from the Florida Department of Education’s postsecondary education oversight body, the Commission for Independent Education (CIE), to process student records from Mattia as soon as possible so that transfer schools can start assessing students’ remaining eligibility for federal student aid funds. 

CIE is in the process of working with institutions in the area of Mattia College to identify schools with similar programs that may accept students. For information on how to access and obtain your student records and transcripts, and to view a listing of licensed institutions with similar programs in your area, please see the Commission for Independent Education’s Web page for displaced Mattia College students.

Note: Neither ED nor CIE have confirmed that the institutions listed on CIE’s website will accept Mattia College credits as part of any transfer. A student interested in a program of study listed should contact the institution to determine whether the student can transfer his or her credits.

If you transfer the credits you have earned at Mattia College toward a comparable program at another school, you will not be eligible to receive a closed school loan discharge.

You may also contact ED’s School Eligibility Service Group team at (202) 377-3173 or e-mail your inquiry to