Closure of Wright Career College

Closure of Wright Career College

On April 15, 2016, Wright Career College filed a Voluntary Petition for Chapter 7 Bankruptcy in the District of Kansas and subsequently ceased instruction and operations at their Overland Park and Wichita (KS) locations as well as campuses located in Omaha (NE), Oklahoma City, and Tulsa (OK). 

If you were attending a Wright Career College location that closed on April 15, or withdrew from the school within the last 120 days before April 15, you have two options:

  1. Apply for a closed school loan discharge or
  2. Transfer earned credit or hours to another institution to continue your education in a comparable program

Closed School Loan Discharge

If your Wright Career College location closed while you were attending or soon after you withdrew, and you did not complete your program of study, you may be eligible for a closed school discharge. A closed school discharge is a 100% discharge of the federal Direct Loans, Federal Family Education Loan (FFEL) Program loans, or Federal Perkins Loans you took out to attend the closed school and a reimbursement of amounts you have already paid to the government.

To apply for loan forgiveness through a closed school discharge, you can either

Note: Your Closed School Loan Discharge Application must be sent to your loan servicer. To find out who your loan servicer is, log in to My Federal Student Aid or call 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243; TTY for the hearing impaired 1-800-730-8913).

You can no longer use your Federal Student Aid PIN. If you haven’t already, you’ll need to create an FSA ID—a username and password—to log in.

Read our overview of the closed school loan discharge process for more information about the process and eligibility.

We encourage you to avoid paying companies for student loan consolidation or forgiveness services that your federal loan servicer provides on behalf of ED for free. Read our post on your rights and options as a borrower.

Credit Transfers

Instead of applying for a closed school discharge, you may wish to keep the credits you’ve earned from Wright Career College and transfer those credits to another school with a comparable program. If you do transfer into a comparable program offered by another school, that school will evaluate your Wright Career College course work and will decide whether to give you credit for the work already completed and will determine what courses you need to take to complete your program of study.  

ED is working with Wright Career College officials, as well as representatives from the requisite Kansas, Nebraska, and Oklahoma state licensing and postsecondary education oversight bodies, to process student records from the closed Wright Career College locations as soon as possible so that transfer schools can start assessing students’ remaining eligibility for federal student aid funds. 

State officials across Kansas, Nebraska, and Oklahoma are in the process of identifying institutions with similar programs that may accept students from the closed Wright Career College campuses. For information on how to access and obtain your student records and transcripts or to find out more about licensed institutions with similar programs in your area, contact your state agency listed on ED’s fact sheet about the closure.

Note: Neither ED nor your requisite state agency have confirmed that referred institutions will accept Wright Career College credits as part of any transfer. Students interested in any of the programs listed should contact the institution to determine whether they can transfer their credits.

If you transfer the credits or hours you have earned at Wright Career College toward a comparable program at another school, you will not be eligible to receive a closed school loan discharge.

You may also contact ED’s School Eligibility Service Group team at (202) 377-3173 or e-mail your inquiry to