Choosing a college to receive your information
While completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®), you must list at least one college to receive your information.
You can list up to ten colleges. If you want to apply to more than ten colleges, you can submit the FAFSA and add more colleges later.
If you don't know your college's Federal School Code:
- Select the state in which the college is located. This is a required field.
- The city and school name fields are optional but they can help you narrow down your search results. You may enter the full city or college name or a common abbreviation. For example, "NYC" for New York City or "Virginia Tech" for Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. Once you have filled in the information, click Search and we will search our database and display your results in order by best match. You can re-sort the list in alphabetical order by School Name.
- You can also search for Federal School Codes from the FAFSA on the Web home page at fafsa.ed.gov by clicking Look Up A School Code. Select the school year for which you are applying and select the state, then click Search. To narrow your search, you may enter the City and/or School Name.
If you know your college's Federal School Code:
- Enter the Federal School Code for the college, then click Search. The college you searched for will display in the Search Results table.
If you want to add one or more schools to the Selected Schools list:
- You can select up to ten colleges to add to your list of Selected Schools. After searching for a school, select an individual school or multiple schools by clicking the check boxes on the College Search Results page. Once you have added at least one school to your list, you can select Add More Schools to search for additional colleges. Here’s what you should do if you’d like to send your FAFSA information to more than ten schools.
If you want to delete a school from the list:
- If you want to delete a college, click the Remove button next to the college you want to delete. This will remove the college from your list of Selected Schools.
If you want to move a school up or down in your list:
- To change the order of the schools in your list, select a school and click the Up or Down buttons. The order of schools does not affect eligibility for federal aid, but may be relevant to some state aid programs.
When you receive the Student Aid Report (SAR) after your FAFSA is processed, it will contain a code called a Data Release Number (DRN). Your DRN will also be located on your confirmation page. You can provide this code to additional colleges so they can access your information electronically.