Special circumstance

Special circumstance

You indicated that you believe you have a special circumstance and are unable to provide parental information. Your special circumstance may be one of the following:

  • You are unable to provide parental information.
  • You are homeless or at risk of being homeless.
  • You are seeking an unsubsidized loan only.

In order to be considered for all types of federal student financial aid, under federal law, you must provide parental information on your FAFSA unless you meet one of the criteria for being an "independent" student. This is true even if you don’t live with your parent, your parent is not paying any of your college expenses, or your parent does not claim you as a dependent on their taxes.

If you are unable to provide parental information, you should provide all student information and skip any questions about your parents. As a result, we will be unable to calculate your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) which is the index used by colleges to determine how much student aid you are eligible to receive.

You must follow up with the financial aid administrator (FAA) at the college you plan to attend, in order to complete your FAFSA and receive an EFC. Also note the following:

  • Under Federal law, only your FAA has the authority to decide whether or not you must provide parental information on your FAFSA.
  • Your FAA may ask you to provide documentation to verify your situation. Gather as much written evidence of your situation as you can. Written evidence may include court or law enforcement documents, letters from a clergy member, school counselor or social worker, and/or any other relevant data that explains your special circumstance.
  • After carefully reviewing your circumstances, your FAA will decide if you must provide parental information or if your circumstances allow you to proceed without providing parental data.

Is this answer helpful?

Thank you for your response.
Total Characters: 500 Remaining: 500