When should I correct or update my FAFSA® information?

When should I correct or update my FAFSA® information?

Your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®) form provides a snapshot of your family's financial situation as of the date you sign and submit your FAFSA form. If the information on your Student Aid Report (SAR) is not accurate as of the date that you signed and submitted your FAFSA form, then you need to correct it.

Certain fields, especially those pertaining to your financial information and marital status, shouldn’t be changed unless your answers were incorrect on the day your FAFSA form was submitted. The fields that should not be changed include "as of today" in the question.

The FAFSA form uses tax information from two years prior to the award year. If your family’s financial situation has changed dramatically since filing taxes, you should complete the FAFSA questions as required, submit the FAFSA form, then contact the school you plan to attend and discuss your situation with the financial aid office.

The online FAFSA form allows you to correct information and add or remove school codes. The only information that cannot be corrected online is your Social Security number (SSN). If you filed a FAFSA form using an incorrect SSN, you can either enter the correct SSN on a paper SAR or ask the financial aid office at one of the schools listed on your SAR to change it for you. Otherwise, you must file a new FAFSA form with the correct SSN. Contact the financial aid office at your college if you have any questions or need to know your school’s deadline. 

To request a copy of your paper SAR, call the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-433-3243 (TTY for the deaf or hard of hearing 1-800-730-8913). 

If you’re not sure you need to correct your FAFSA form, contact the financial aid office at your college for assistance.

Is this answer helpful?

Thank you for your response.
Total Characters: 500 Remaining: 500