- Meet with your school counselor or mentor to discuss colleges and their requirements.
- Plan to use your summer wisely: Work, volunteer, or take a summer course (away or at a local college).
- Go to career information events to get a more detailed look at career options.
- Research majors that might be a good fit with your interests and goals based on your results from the U.S. Department of Labor’s career search.
- Learn the differences between grants, loans, work-study, and scholarships.
10th Grade Student Checklist
- Find out whether your child’s school has college nights or financial aid nights. Plan to attend those events with your child.
- Help your child develop independence by encouraging him or her to take responsibility for balancing homework with any other activities or a part-time job.
- Learn about the standardized tests your child will be taking during 10th through 12th grades.
- Get a brief overview of financial aid from Federal Student Aid at a Glance.